Tuesday, June 3, 2008

And a shiny new laptop, FTW!

Since I telecommute full time, I've always kept a laptop for my trips up to the office, and also because its nice to have something to curl up with on the couch (besides my wife) during TV time so I can both veg out and try and be productive/creative at the same time. My current aging laptop is an eMachines (don't laugh) M6805. It's original specs aren't too shabby:
  • AMD 64 3000+ Processor
  • 512 Mb Ram
  • 60 Gb HD (4200 RPM)
  • ATI Radeon 9600 /64Mb
But it's a far cry from a decent laptop by today's standards. Since purchased, I've bumped the ram to 768M and the HD has been replaced with a 120G 5400 RPM drive when the old HD bit the dust. The biggest drawback is that it's screen is a paltry 1280x800. It's just TOO SMALL and while I've lived with it all this time, it's always been a thorn in my side.

Today, no more. I've made the plunge to replace my laptop with something to (hopefully) last me for the next few years. I've made the plunge to replace my old eMachines windows XP clunker, with a nice new, shiny, fast MacBook Pro. I still own an old G3 iBook, but its long past its prime, and it used to be my means of testing webpages on OS X until work upgraded my older linux box to a Mac Pro. I've spec'd out the following:
  • 17" MacBookPro
  • 2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • 4GB 667Mhz DDR2
  • NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT / 512MB
  • 250 GB 5400 RPM HD
  • And the best of all, an upgrade to the 1920x1200 Hi-res display.
My current desktop (with the 19" clunker CRT it still has) runs at 1600 x 1200, so this will beat out even that for screen real estate.

If you can't tell, I'm a bit impatient and trying to stave it off. Maybe Ill even blog more once I have it since it wont feel like such a chore on this laptop.

No comments: